Monday, April 5, 2010

Life is full of disappointments...and other lessons a mother must dish out.

Last week I realized that Easter was nearly upon us and I hadn't done any shopping for said event.

Uh-oh.

So off to the store we went, me and my brood (sans daughter, who was working).   I carted the boys down the candy aisle of the nearest mart store and made them pick out candy.  It was torture, just ask them.  {snicker}  I think it was the biggest haul they've ever made.

While they were busy planning a massive sugar overload, I asked them what *else* they wanted in their baskets.  Normally they get a little bit of candy and one or more non-candy items--some, if not all, will point to the reason for this celebration.  We don't emphasize the basket in our house, but use it as a bit of fun.

Anyway, this is where I back up and mention that I really *had* thought about Easter weeks before the event. I *had* asked the kids what they wanted back then and only one of them came up with an answer.  The 17-year-old wanted a laser pen.  Like the red pointing lasers...only this one was violet. 

So when I asked them at the store what I could got them for their baskets, he bulked.  He had already told me what he wanted and it wasn't at the mart store.  So he pouted instead of telling me what *else* I could buy. 

Then, just 3 days before the event he came to me with ideas.  Mind you, we live in a small town. Shopping choices are the grocery store, the gas station and a dollar store.  So when he said he wanted a new flashlight--a **GOOD** one--I asked, "can I get that at the dollar store?"  No, I could not--and it wasn't looking like we were going out of town before Easter.  Poor child.

So on Easter morning as he dug through his basket he found.....a violet laser pen.  It was at this moment that I pointed out to him that life is full of disappointments--but today wasn't one of them.

Ahhh, life is good.  Thank you, Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. ROFL - you are SUCH a mom! I hope you got a picture of his face!

    ReplyDelete