Thursday, October 1, 2009

Pumpkin Recipes

In honor of my color scheme, I've decided to share some of my favorite pumpkin recipes.

Making your own pumpkin puree is so easy, you'll flip when you realize how much you can save by doing it yourself. Simply cut a pumpkin in half (it doesn't matter which direction--but it doesn't roll if you cut it from the stem down while it's sitting upright). I've found that cleaning it out is made easier by a cheap, plastic ice cream scoop. I'm not a fan of the slimy innards, so I don't usually keep the seeds. Once clean, place the cut sides down on a baking sheet and bake it at 350 for an hour to 90 minutes...depending on its size. Once its soft, flip the pumpkin over and scoop out the tender flesh and puree in a food processor, discarding the outer shell. Put the puree in freezer bags (I measure 2 cups for each) and freeze.

Once you have all that lovely puree, you're gonna want to make something. My youngest son loves to make pumpkin butter and all three of my children love pumpkin muffins and pumpkin milkshakes (just make a vanilla milkshake, adding 2 TBS pumpkin puree and 1/4 teas. pumpkin pie spice).


Pumpkin Spice Makes 8 teaspoons
Ingredients:
4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 Tsp Ground Ginger
1 Tsp Allspice
1 Tsp Nutmeg

************************************************

Pumpkin Butter Recipe Yield: 3 Cups
2 1/2 c Pumpkin; cooked, mashed
3/4 c Sugar
1/4 c Apple cider or orange juice
1/2 ts Cinnamon, ground
1/2 ts Cloves, ground
1/4 ts Allspice, ground
1/4 ts Nutmeg, ground
Combine all of the ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Cover and chill.

************************************************

Pumpkin Chip Muffins
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
16 ounce can pumpkin
1 cup applesauce
½ cup vegetable oil
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups (a 12 ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, applesauce and oil until smooth.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips.
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups ¾ full.
Bake at 400° 16 to 20 minutes or until muffins test done.
Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Yields about 24 standard-size muffins.
*Can substitute carrots or zucchini for pumpkin or raisins for the chocolate chips.

************************************************

Tomorrow we'll tackle Pumpkin Fudge, Mousse and Ice Cream.

3 comments:

  1. Pumpkin fudge - oh Pam how could you - *sob* I hate pumpkin, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? No pumpkin log? I don't like pumpkin either, but I can eat pumpkin log. I know my dh loves it and we usually get it from my sister. I guess I will have to break down and make it. blah!

    I bet all these are very tasty, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ew! Pumpkin Log! I'm not a fan of sponge cake or cream cheese--so to put them together...ew! Besides, Mom makes that at Christmas time, so its a Christmas dessert, not a fall one. LOL
    Good to see you around, Shelly. I miss your blog updates, girly.

    ReplyDelete