Monday, March 30, 2009

Weddings

Weddings have been on my mind today. One of the message boards I frequent is talking about weddings. I just had a young couple over for dinner tonight...and since they are getting married in a couple of months, the wedding is high on their list of topics to discuss.

{sigh}

Weddings are a lot of stress...so why does anyone romanticize them?

Who cares! Let's look back at mine.

I remember our wedding day. I remember when my Dad gave me away. I turned to him, kissed him on the cheek and said, "I love you Daddy." As he turned away to sit with my Mom I heard him sniffle.
I remember my cousin (who is one day older than me and was my best friend growing up) had a hard time at my wedding. I was standing in the reception line, being greeted and congratulated by everyone...then my cousin comes by. TO THIS DAY I still wonder what it was she was trying to tell me. She was crying so hard I didn't understand a word of it. Bless her heart. Her emotions triggered MY emotions. Thanks a lot, Cuz.

But all-in-all it was a nice ceremony. Actually, it was probably the shortest ceremony that everyone attending had ever been to! Our minister was **SO** nervous! More than *we* were! He forgot some things...like the scripture that we had agonized over for days to pick out. In the blink of an eye (well, almost) he was announcing us as Mr. and Mrs.

Then my niece...how adorable was she!?! She was two years old and did a great job. The dress she wore was the same one that *I* had worn at her age when I was a flower girl at a wedding. I don't remember my experience as a flower girl and I'm guessing that she doesn't either.
Poor thing was so tired and needed a nap and wasn't afraid to show it.
{sigh} I miss being able to fit into that dress...as well as my skinny jeans. But I wouldn't have missed out on these last 20+ years. I may never be this skinny again...but I will ALWAYS have the love of this wonderful, quirky man.

4 comments:

  1. Hey look at the Princess and her Prince Charming! I looked for my wedding pics the other day. Apparently they've fallen victim to the black hole that roams my house. I'll find them someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos. I was a wedding photographer for over 20 years...yes, I know the stress that is weddings. I used to tell my brides that it isn't about the great wedding day, but the happily ever after!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm glad I came over from the message board to see this post! It was fun to see other pics from your wedding, and your mcramblings on them, too. :)

    BTW, in that last photo, I didn't see the flower girl's face at first and I thought her legs were your legs and you had on a mid-calf length dress with a long train. Hahahahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete