Sunday, November 8, 2009

A new set of clothes...

My oldest son wanted to go shopping today after church.  I wanted to go for a walk in the beautiful, warm sunshine.  Hubs decided we'd go shopping.
So we drove a half hour to town and our first stop was (insert name of home improvement store here).  He'd seen a tool set in the ad that included a canvas bag and drill bits.  So I helped him find it (read: after walking down the aisles and not spotting it *I* was the one to hunt down a store worker and ask for it).  After that I took the youngest boy with me and we went to look at the mistint paint. 
Many of you have heard the stories about how I've painted the entire interior of our home with $5 a gallon mistint paint.  It's about the only reason I go to this store.
We had to look for where they'd moved it (once again---as if they're afraid people will find it). It was on a shelf with other clearance paint items. There were two gallons of mistints and they were on an upper shelf.  I tipped the first gallon towards me so I could see the color on the lid.  It said it was grey.  So I grabbed the one behind it and tipped it forward.  I never saw the lid--but the paint was white.  Very, very white.  And it was now all over me.
Oh. Yes. It. Was.
You know what? They're going to do MUCH better job at making sure they fasten the lids down on paint from now on.
When we finally got to talk to the manager (another story in itself) he asked if there was anything in the store we wanted.   I looked at him. And blinked.  OF COURSE there were things in the store that we wanted--but I'm not the type of person to take him to the cleaners over it.   I looked at hubs--he had the same thought.  We said nothing.  The manager offered to give us a shopping card.  I said that sounded fair because I obviously had to buy new clothes and it would offset that cost.  So he took us to the service desk and talked to another manager.  When he came back to us he said to go purchase the clothes and bring the receipt back and they'd reimburse us.  Oh, and the item that was in the cart--he was giving that to us, too.
So hubs is happy that his tool set was free. I got a new shirt, jeans and shoes.  And we will be able to sleep tonight.
But you know what the strangest thing about this whole deal is?  Nobody batted an eye and me walking around the store covered in paint. Nobody!  Even at the store where I purchased the new clothes I ran into someone I know and she just said "hi" as if there was nothing strange about my appearance.  Just minutes before that I looked at hubs and said, "People pay real money to look like this!"  He agreed.
I smelled like latex house paint. And my clothes were getting stiff. I was not enjoying the look.
Hubs just smiles and says I took one for the team.

4 comments:

  1. Heck of a way to get a new outfit, Pam....oh my gosh I'm so sorry but I laughed my behind off at this! Seems like it could only happen to you. And to think nobody even looked twice at you.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Cuz, but people probably didn't know what to say to you. They may have thought that you were going for a new look!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed hysterically at this too Pam! OMG! At least you got a new outfit, were you happy with what you got?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny! I am sure at the time it wasn't, but you have to admit, looking back now... It is a little funny, right? lol Glad the manager was nice about it and worked with you.

    ReplyDelete