Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cooking....again.

I was stumped for what to fix for supper tonight. Timothy helped me peek in the cabinets and fridge. In the freezer there was 3 packages of various types of fish. Doug doesn't like fish, but the kids and I do. We can have some fish for lunch tomorrow...but that will never work for supper. There was also a package of meatballs, some browned ground beef and various vegetables. Leftovers were in the fridge--not much help there. The pantry is pretty well stocked. The family has eaten all the sliced bread in the house, though. It's snowing outside and I don't want to make a run to the store. So I have to make do with what I have on hand.
Hmmmm...what to fix?
Several years ago I made a list of foods I frequently make that the family loves. So I got that list out and looked it over. I'm not in the mood for any of the soups or stews. Fried bologna and grilled cheese sandwiches are out....no bread. I had just made spaghetti...so not that. Or lasagna. A-HA! Here are a couple of winners: Taco Bake Casserole...or...Meatball Sub Casserole.
I pick...

....drum roll please....

Meatball Sub Casserole!
My teenagers are excited. I haven't made this for a couple of years.
There won't be any leftovers tonight!
Try it out:

Meatball Sub Casserole

1 pound frozen meatballs
1 jar (28 oz.) spaghetti sauce
1 cup water
2 garlic cloves, minced

1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread, cut into 1” slices

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
½ cup mayonnaise (no substitutes—don’t use light or fat-free)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

Combine spaghetti sauce, water, garlic and meatballs in a heavy saucepan. Heat for 15 minutes, or until meatballs are thawed and heated through. Cool.
Arrange bread in a single layer in an ungreased 13” x 9” x 2” baking dish (all of the bread may not be used). Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning and pepper; spread over the bread. Sprinkle with ½ cup mozzarella. Pour meatball/sauce mixture over cheese mixture; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.

1 comment:

  1. I need to come to your house for dinner. We had salads, lol. I hate to cook!
    BTW - when you comment on my blog, you show up as no-reply - so I can't email you. I'm not sure how you change that, or if you want to. Just want you to know I'm not ignoring your comment!!!

    ReplyDelete