Thursday, February 5, 2009

Reflections


One night, when he was six years old, Timothy appeared at my bedside. When he saw I was “awake” (more like startled into consciousness by the feeling that someone was at the bedside, WATCHING me) he climbed into bed and snuggled in close. Very close…like a second skin. He said he “just wanted to sleep with me.” Uh-huh. Since he is my third child I knew there was another reason.
After a while of snuggling I told him that he had to go to his bed. This is where the truth came out. He wailed, “My bed is broke!”
Now, once upon a time it alarmed me when he said his bed was broke, but the child’s mind was still learning the language…and such a hard language it is! You see…when you get up in the mornings, you must make your bed…therefore, when it is unmade, it must be broken!

…aren’t we this way with our Heavenly Father. When something is wrong, we go into His presence, but hem-haw around—as if He didn’t know something was wrong. Sometimes He must prod us to get us to tell Him what is bothering us. He cannot help us unless we ask.

Yes, I went into Timothy’s room and he turned on the light to reveal that the sheet had come undone at the foot of his bed. As I tucked it back into place, he heaped praises on me and thanked me for fixing his bed.
Thank you, Lord, for helping put the “undone” things back in place in my life.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post Pam! Precious memories. Children are simply poetic, drama filled comedians with hearts so pure and tender, and yet .....and yet..... I'll leave that one for later!

    Ha, I loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of broken beds--do you remember the night we laugh so hard we broke your bed and your mom and dad came running to find out what happened. We couldn't speak because we were laughing so hard. I still remember this with fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cindy! Glad you could make it! You kinda freaked me out with the "Anonymous" post, but yeah...now that you mention it I do recall something like that happening. That's why I need you around, Cuz. I can't remember anything from back then on my own.

    BTW...YOU STARTED IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember who started it, but I know we couldn't quit.

    ReplyDelete