Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Stop me if you've heard this one..

Years and years ago...when we first got married...I couldn't cook. I just "never" had time to tag behind Mom in the kitchen to learn the ins and outs. Truth was, I had no interest in being domesticated. I was a country girl. Dirt under the fingernails. Hair cut short so it would be out of the way.
I am not the same girl.
I truly enjoy cooking for my family. I love cooking from scratch and using fresh produce. I like to experiment with new flavors and textures and create new dishes. I just never write any of it down...so it's all lost. Remember, menopausal hormones are eating my brain cells.
A few years ago we made friends with Fred and Jane. As it turns out, Fred has a thing about dull knives. He hates them. With a passion. So one day Fred took my knives home with him and sharpened him. My life has never been the same since. WOW, what a difference a sharp knife makes! So every few weeks Fred would drop in and collect my knives. Then Fred got smart and loaned my husband a knife sharpener. Very soon afterwards we bought a good knife sharpener of our own. Since then both of my teenagers have bought a knife sharpener for themselves. We've all been converted to the Sharp Knife Club. (Remember, we're a Boy Scout family--there are lots of pocket knives floating around here.)
Fred is also the one who invited us to learn to butcher deer. We'd help, bring home some meat, and eat venison for a while. Now, as a family, we have butchered two deer on our own and helped another friend butcher a cow. (Remind me later to tell you the "I'm cutting up a cow" story.)
So...I'm not doing too bad for a girl who couldn't cook and didn't eat red meat all those years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment