Sunday, February 15, 2009

A romantic dinner.

Last night we got together with friends and enjoyed a candlelight dinner. Albeit, the candlelight part was MY idea, but it was the middle of the day when I suggested it. It never occurred to me that it would be dark out by the time we sat down to eat.
The truth is...I hate eating in the dark. And candlelight is just a tiny step up from "dark".
I don't like eating at restaurants with "ambiance". Bleck. All that means is...they're saving money on the electric bill and you have no idea what they're actually serving. Is it beef, pork or dog? Who knows? I can't see it.
I have a thing about that.
It's one of my "things".
I have a thing about a lot of stuff.
I have issues.
Do you still love me?

We divided up the cooking. My part of the meal included the salad, the pork chops and some cut up fruit for dessert. Here's how I fixed six chops:
I quickly browned the chops in a hot skillet, sprinkling seasoned salt and course-ground pepper on top. Once browned and not cooked through, I transferred them to a roasting pan. Over top of them I put a thinly sliced small onion and some thick sliced fresh mushrooms. (a small can will do in a pinch) Then I mixed a can of cream/mushroom soup with a half a can of water and poured it over everything else. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over top, cover the pan with foil and pop it in the oven with the baked potatoes for half an hour. (My friend was in charge of the potatoes...the oven was set at 350.) Since one of our chops was a lot thicker than the others, we had to bake it for another 15 minutes before it was done.
Oh, and for cutsie-ness, I took the red pepper that I was cutting up for the salad and thinly sliced it vertically twelve times, saving the curvey part of the top of the pepper (a hook shape)---and I used two to make a heart on top of each chop. C'mon---it was CUTE!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Sounds great.
    I love eating by candlelight, but we always forget...except outside.

    ReplyDelete